Student Opportunity Center (SOC) offers various ways to narrow your search, including the search bar, tags, categories, location and date filters. Below are suggestions for maximizing your search results. Ultimately, the best search results will be personal, so try different combinations to see what works best for you.
- Tags and Categories are typically the most helpful. Start by applying these two filters, if applicable.
- Start with 1 category and 1 tag, and add additional filters as needed.
- 2-3 filters is typically ideal. Using too many filters will (overly) limit your search. If you would like to see more results then use fewer filters.
- To broaden your search, use a keyword search in the search bar (top)
- When doing a keyword search you may want to also sort results by “relevance” (top right)
You can filter by:
Tags: major and career interest etc.
Categories: types of opportunities, such as internship, study abroad, research etc.
Dates: application deadline, start date or seasonal date
Location: geographic location, including virtual
Things to remember:
- Search includes the SOC national database. If you would like to search only campus-specific opportunities, turn off the national database under “search” (top)
- Remember to “clear filters” (using the blue text) and delete your search term to reset your search
- Sort results by recently added, relevance, deadline, or start date (top right)
- NOTE about Location: If your campus has a Handshake opportunity feed, you must use the search bar to search by location. Handshake does not provide SOC with location information so the location tag will not work for Handshake opportunities.